Conservative Therapy for Varicose Veins
Whether you are trying to prevent varicose veins or attempting to conservatively manage your symptoms, conservative therapy is an important part of the treatment and management of your veins.
What Is Conservative Therapy for Varicose Veins?
Conservative therapy includes the following 3 E’s:
– Regular aerobic exercise, such as walking, running or cycling, can improve the return of blood to the heart and improve symptoms.
– Elevating your legs on a stool or ottoman when you are sitting eases the pressure placed on the vein walls and improves venous return, improving symptoms.
- Medical grade compression socks worn during the day can help alleviate symptoms of vein disease. Here is some helpful information about compression socks:
1) Compression socks are classified based on the strength of compression they provide. Socks with 20-30 mmHg compression are recommended during the trial of conservative therapy and following all vein procedures performed at Clarity Dermatology. Usually, knee-high socks are sufficient for the 3 month conservative therapy trial required by insurance carriers; however, thigh-high socks may be needed for treatments above the knee, including cosmetic sclerotherapy.
2) Knee-high compression socks should not be folded or rolled at the top if the sock is too long. Instead, the top of the sock should be pulled up to two fingerbreadths below the top of the shin bone and the excess sock should be spread out over the remainder of the lower leg to the ankle. The sock should not compress the area behind the knee when the knee is bent, as this will worsen your symptoms.
3) We recommend that you bring all of your compression socks to each vein-related visit.
4) Compression socks come in a variety of sizes and styles. Clarity Dermatology can perform measurements on your legs to ensure a proper fit.
High-quality compression socks are available to purchase at Clarity Dermatology. These socks are medical grade and will last you for all of your vein treatments.
Schedule a Consultation with Clarity Dermatology
To learn more about treatment and management of varicose veins, schedule an appointment with Clarity Dermatology by calling us at 720.686.SKIN.